It’s almost unbelievable, but November just started and 2018 is coming to an end and Christmas is not far away. This year I will celebrate my second Christmas in summer far away from home. Last summer in New Zealand I was totally in Christmas mood in 2017. But this year there is just not a bit of a Christmas feeling inside of me. Maybe I have lost my sense of seasons after spending one and a half year in summer time only. 🙂
But yet I am looking really forward to Christmas this year as my brother will visit me in Australia and we will spend the holy night together at the beach while getting tanned by the Australian sun. Nevertheless I would love to create some festive mood at least when it comes to food. But it shouldn’t be to complicated, because our kitchen equipment in the campervan is quite functional and a too hearty meal would be unsuitable on those hot summer days. To still rely on some German food tradition, I was thinking about a kind of summer dumpling (or potato cake). Because dumplings are a must have on the Christmas table in Germany. I decided to prepare a lighter version fried in the pan, which makes it even more tasty. I hope, my brother will be even more happy about his visit with little delicacy.
Find my recipe below the pictures.
Summer dumplings (Potato cakes)
- 1 kg potatoes
- 100-200g flour
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 big onion
- some cheese
- salt, pepper, rosemary
- 1 cup of sour cream
- Some butter to fry
- Some fresh herbs for decoration
- Peal the potatoes and cut them into little cubes. Once done, boil potatoes until they are very soft.
- Mash the potatoes and let them cool down.
- Meanwhile cut zucchini and onion into little cubes and fry them in a pan with oil. Season the veggies with salt, pepper and rosemary.
- Cut up the cheese into small cubes as well.
- Once the potatoes are cooled down, add some flour and knead the potato mixture until smooth. Add the flour step by step to get a feeling when the mixture creates a good dough to form and fill.
- Now divide the potato mixture into 6 pieces, press each piece flat and fill them with one tbs of the zucchini-onion mixture and cheese, wrap the potato dough around.
- When all potatoes dumplings are formed, fry them in the pan with hot butter until golden.
- Place the potatoes cakes on a plate with some sour cream and fresh herbs and enjoy the delicious food with all your senses 🙂
♥ The end ♥